Jimmi Langemo specializes in transforming leaders and helping them weave diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) seamlessly into their organization. His holistic, action-oriented approach provides easy-to-use mindsets and models that can be used in nearly any situation. His emphasis on self-awareness, mindfulness, and leadership encourages and equips people to live a more meaningful life while helping others live theirs. The learnings are applicable at work, at home and within communities. The results include a more diverse workforce, a more equitable and inclusive environment, and a more successful organization.
His inspiring, humorous messages are delivered through real-life stories, music and insights. You won’t just walk away changed. You’ll walk away equipped to create change!
Jimmi has been working in DEI since 2004 when he became the first director of diversity and inclusion at Best Buy. During his tenure, he led the creation of an award-winning leadership development program, helped launch employee resource groups across the chain, and worked with leadership to increase the diversity of staff at all levels and improve the employee experience. His programs helped Best Buy achieve its DEI goals, while also helping it become more profitable.
After leaving Best Buy, Jimmi launched a speaking and consulting business. His clients have included Fortune 500 companies, nonprofits, and small businesses. They have included government agencies, religious organizations, and education institutions.
Jimmi recently joined the City of Brooklyn Center as their director of equity and human
resources after almost seven years as the chief administrative officer for Hennepin Theatre Trust.
Jimmi is also a songwriter, singer, and multi-instrumentalist. He plays guitar, harmonica, mandolin, and banjo. His band, Jimmi and the Band of Souls, were semi-finalists in the International Blues Challenge in 2015. Their album, The Devil You Know, was voted best self-produced blues album in Minnesota in 2012. Their latest album, Live, Baby, Live!, was released in February of 2022.
Certifications & Education
- IDI qualified administrator
- Certified for mindful facilitation through StirFry Seminars
- Ordained Zen lay priest
- BA in English
- How to be more inclusive, stressing personal transformation and equipping people with practical skills
- How to create an inclusive work environment
- Dealing with DEI fatigue, both personal and organizational
Most Requested Presentations
- Mitigating Your Biases: How to Live a More Meaningful Life While Helping Others Live Theirs
- A Straight White Man’s Story: A Personal Journey Toward Becoming an Inclusive Leader
- How to Create an Inclusive Work Environment
- How to Overcome Diversity Fatigue
- How to Link DEI Efforts to Business Priorities